When your energy gets low between meals and hunger kicks in, it’s important to reach for a filling snack that can power you through to your next meal.
Unfortunately, many snack foods are low in filling nutrients like protein and fiber and instead high in added sugars and refined carbs. This isn’t a good combination when you’re looking for lasting energy. The usual suspects include chips, cookies, and certain granola bars.
However, there are plenty of nourishing snacks to choose from that make excellent snack choices, including homemade recipes and ready-to-eat options.
Below you’ll find 20 tasty ideas for snacks that are healthy and energizing.
Options 1–11 are premade snacks you can purchase online or at your local grocery store. These are a great option for when you can’t or don’t want to spend time in the kitchen.
Options 12–20 are healthy homemade snack options. They may cost less and use less packaging than premade snacks.
Photography by Aya Brackett
- Nutrient-dense bars
When you’re choosing premade energy bars, make sure to look at the ingredient list.
Most protein and granola bars are packed with ingredients like added sugar and preservatives, which many people prefer to limit in their diets.
The following bars are made with whole food ingredients and contain little to no added sugars:
- Thunderbird Real Food Bars. These bars are sweetened with dates and contain energizing blends of fruit, nuts, seeds, and healthy fats.
- EPIC Performance Bars. These are sweetened with dates and packed with 12 grams of protein from egg whites.
- Patterbars. These are made from whole foods and come in delicious flavors like coconut cashew and blueberry lemon.
- Bobo’s Protein Bars. These oat-based bars contain a good amount of plant-based protein. The cherry almond, almond butter, and peanut butter flavors are low in sugar, containing just 5 grams of added sugar from organic honey per bar.
- Wild Zora Meat and Veggie Bars. If you’re looking for a savory option, these tasty bars are rich in veggies and protein.
- HEALTHLINE NEWSLETTER
- Get our daily Nutrition email
- To help you create your best meal plan, we’ll send you expert, evidence-based guidance on nutrition and weight loss.
Enter your email
Your privacy is important to us
- Premade energy balls
Making energy balls at home can be time consuming. Fortunately, you can purchase premade energy balls online or at your favorite health food store without sacrificing taste or nutritional quality.
Here are a few excellent options for premade energy balls:
- Daily Harvest Energy Bites. These bites are a perfect blend of nutrient-dense, whole food ingredients that will help keep you full until your next meal. They come in five flavors, such as hazelnut chocolate.
- Navitas Power Snacks. These are made with energizing blends of fruits, seeds, and ingredients like acerola cherry powder. They’re a perfect snack choice to provide lasting energy.
- Abbey’s Better Snack Bites. These snack bites are made with only six ingredients, including nuts and dates. Plus, they’re peanut-free, making them safe for those with a peanut allergy.
- Made in Nature Figgy Pops. These are packed with filling ingredients, including nuts, fruit, and coconut.
- Dried fruit and nuts
Jeff Wasserman/Stocksy United
If you’re searching for healthy, portable snacks, be sure to pick up dried fruit and nuts the next time you go grocery shopping.
Simply pair roasted or raw nuts and dried fruit for a satisfying snack that’s brimming with protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
Here are some delicious combos:
- dried mango and macadamia nuts
- dried cherries and salted almonds
- raisins and walnuts
- dried apricots and pecans
- Just be sure to choose dried fruit that’s unsweetened or naturally sweetened with apple juice. Also, be sure to buy unsulfured options, which do not use the preservative sulfur dioxide.
- Turkey sticks and fresh fruit
Turkey sticks can be a filling choice on their own, but pairing these protein-packed snacking sticks with an apple, peach, or pear provides even more staying power thanks to the fiber in the fruit.
Many brands offer free-range turkey sticks.
Shop for the New Primal, Chomps, and Nick’s Sticks free-range turkey sticks online.
- Canned salmon, avocado, and crackers
Combining salmon with avocado and crackers creates a balanced combo that’s sure to satisfy your snack cravings.
Salmon is loaded with nutrients, including protein, omega-3 fats, selenium, and B vitamins. Avocados and crackers provide an excellent source of fiber plus other important nutrients (1Trusted Source, 2Trusted Source).
What’s more, the ingredients for this snack are portable. Simply pack a can of salmon, whole avocado, and box of nutritious crackers and create tiny sandwiches when your cravings strike.
Shop online for Wild Planet canned salmon, as well as crackers by Simple Mills or Mary’s Gone Crackers.